Sunday, July 17, 2011

it's a hard life

Last Saturday, I woke up at 5:30 in the morning along with Ariel, a couple of her roommates and a couple friends, and we drove down to electric beach to swim with dolphins! It was absolutely incredible.

Siara, me, Ariel, Neco, Alayna and Julia before we headed out:


None of us had ever been there before, but luckily there were a couple other groups of BYU students there that knew what they were doing. We had to swim SO far out to sea! Probably about a half mile. It was really good that those other kids were there, because we probably would have stopped and given up before seeing any dolphins. But we didn't give up and it was so worth it because we definitely saw some dolphins!



There were so many dolphins everywhere! There was one moment where I was about eight inches away from touching a dolphin and there were tons swimming underneath me and all around me! It was pretty magical. A couple boats came around filled with tourists who payed at least $100 just to drive past and watch the dolphins, where we were right there with them without having to pay anything.

We were out in the water for quite a while and took tons of pictures. The dolphins just kept swimming past us and under us and at the end, we saw them jumping up and doing tricks and flips out of the water. Our own show out in the wild.



It was actually really hard to swim all the way out there because the tide was so strong, it kept pulling us back into shore, so I borrowed this kid's flippers and they definitely helped, but they were a little too big for me so they kept rubbing back and forth against my foot and I ended up with a huge blister. Even today, a week later, it still hurts, but it was such a fun day! I would do it all over again even if it meant getting another blister.

1 comment:

  1. Oh the perks of living in Hawaii! I'm very jealous of this experience!

    ReplyDelete