Wednesday, May 4, 2011

from a window

Never have I been afraid of lightning/thunder. Until last night. Last night was the most spectacular storm I have ever witnessed. There was a little bit of thunder and lightning throughout the evening, and it was raining here and there, but the show really started at about 1:45 am. Jess and I were asleep upstairs when we awoke to the biggest house-rattling BOOM I have ever experienced. We both sat up in bed and looked at each other, groggy and confused, but clearly frightened. We looked out the window to see the rain pouring buckets and rivers flowing down the road in front of our house. I'm pretty sure lightning must have struck our house because the flashes of lightning were so blindingly bright and a couple of the crashes of thunder were at the exact same time as the lightning. We had to plug our ears it was so loud and I couldn't even look at the lightning because of its brightness--my eyes instinctively shut every time it flashed. It really was incredible. I'd never seen anything like it and I couldn't fall asleep for about a half hour because of all the light and noise. Finally, the thunder became more distant as the lightning moved further and further away so we could finally get back to sleep. But really. I never knew thunder could be that scary.

No comments:

Post a Comment