Saturday, March 19, 2011

all things must pass

He lived next door to me my whole life.
His candy cupboard was always stocked with goodies.
When we were little, he would catch us in his legs and sing "You're in the jail house now."
He always talked about people he knew from Wyoming like we, also, knew them.
His knowledge of cowboys and Western novels seemed exponential.
Mainly, one could always find him sitting on his floral-patterned couch, watching tv with the volume turned up too loud.
His family trips to Hawaii were the greatest. Kahana Sunset was the BEST condo in the world, with a heated pool and everything.
He loved to sing and was always letting us in on the latest secrets to enhance vocal quality.

He was my grandpa.

Earlier this semester, I had an assignment for Creative Writing to write a personal essay. I decided to write on some memories of my grandpa. Click here to read it.

I love you, grandpa. Say hello to grandma for me.

4 comments:

  1. Mariss! I didn't know you had a blog!
    I love this post, I remember the candy cupboard well! What a sweet guy, I am sure he was so happy to get back to your grandma!

    ReplyDelete
  2. marissa! this is so sad. i loved grandpa stories. i will miss them forever. almost as much as i miss you

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is the sweetest thing- i've read your paper at least 12 times. and i printed it out and carry it around and show everyone i know.
    they all think my cousins famous.
    i do too.
    love ya sis

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know I love that paper. I'm so glad you got a chance to record those memories before he passed away.

    Love you.

    ReplyDelete